Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Semolina Sandwich Rolls



I just love making bread and experimenting with all sorts of flour combinations.  Today I tried using one of my Italian bread recipes and adapted it to make these sandwich rolls.  This is my go to recipe so why not try and do another version of it.  My friends recently went to an Amish Store in Missouri and picked me up some different types of flours.  I had them get me Potato Flour, Cake Flour, Semolina Flour and Rye-Pumpernickel flour.  They also bought me some Cocoanut Oil which makes delicious french fries and awesome popcorn.  It was way cheaper from that store than getting the from the grocery store.  I might add their white popcorn is wonderful, will have to get more of than next time they go.
Ok back to these rolls.  My egg person brought me eggs last week so I thought I would make some more bread for them.  I gave them a loaf of the orange spice bread and these rolls.

After tasting these, they are very good, but I would like a little more sweetness so maybe next time I will increase the sugar to at least 4 TBL maybe a bit more, but they taste great as a sandwich the way they are, the sweetness would be nice when you're just eating them with butter.



Ingredients:
2 pkgs instant yeast
1 3/4 cup warm water
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 TBL sugar
2 TBL vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups semolina flour
3 1/2 - 3 3/4 cup AP flour
1 TBL poppy seeds (optional)
egg whites for wash on top

Directions:
In bowl of mixer whisk the yeast, salt, sugar and 1 cup of semolina flour and 1 cup of AP flour, add oil and with beater blade on mixer mix on low adding the water, when all water is added increase the speed to med and mix for 3 minutes.  When done change to dough hook and slowly add 1/2 cup semolina flour and the rest of the AP flour.  You may need more you may need less.  Knead with the machine for 6 1/2 minutes until dough comes away from the sides and gets smooth.  Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.  Divide into 12 rolls, cut a slash on top with a serrated knife, cover and let rest for 30-45 minutes.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees, brush with egg whites and sprinkle poppy seeds (optional) when placing in the oven spritz oven with water before closing the door.  (this helps give the rolls and bit of crusty crust)  Bake for 25 minutes.  Enjoy

1 comment:

debby4000 said...

Gosh these look fab.
luv
Debby

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...