Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2010

Candied fruit

 The holiday is quickly approaching and I'm still baking away.  This past week I tried making candied fruit.  My first project was candied orange peel, boy are they yummy and very easy to make.  You can make candied lemon peel or grapefruit also.
It's a little time consuming because it's done in 4 steps. 
Cut tops and bottoms off of the orange and score the orange into quarters, cutting down only into the peel and not into the fruit. Peel the skin and pith of the orange in large pieces, use the orange for another recipe. Cut the peel into strips about 1/4-inch wide. Put the orange peel in a large saucepan with cold water to cover, bring to a boil over high heat. Then pour off the water. Repeat 1 or 2 more times depending up how assertive you want the orange peels to be. I did it 3 times because they say that mellows the bitterness (true) But you could do it only 2 times if you want.  Remove the orange peels from the pan.
Whisk the sugar with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 to 9 minutes (If you took the sugar's temperature with a candy thermometer it would be at the soft thread stage, 230 to 234 degrees F.) Add the peels and simmer gently, reducing heat to retain a simmer. Cook until the peels get translucent, about 45 minutes. Resist the urge to stir the peels or you may introduce sugar crystals into the syrup. If necessary, swirl the pan to move the peels around. Drain the peels, (save the syrup for ice tea.) Roll the peels in sugar and dry on a rack, for 4 to 5 hours. Return to the sugar to store.
The other candied fruit I made was lemon and pineapple.  Some of the after it was candied I chopped and added fondant so I would have center for chocolate candy (which I made and those are so yummy too, like a cherry cordial but only pineapple instead)

 This fruit is a lot sweeter and I think if I make it again I will cut down on the honey, it's has a very strong honey flavor when eaten alone, but in the candy I think the fondant mellows the flavor.  I also took several of the pieces and just covered them in chocolate.

Prepare fruit.
Cut pineapple, apricots and watermelon rind into small pieces; chop cherries in half; remove white pith from lemon, orange or grapefruit peel and cut into strips or small pieces.
 Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup honey and 1-1/2 cups water in heavy saucepan.
 boil over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 235 degrees F on candy thermometer.
Drop small amount of fruit into liquid.
Cook on low heat 20-30 minutes until the fruit or rind is transparent.
 Drain and repeat with rest of fruit.
Cool fruit and store in airtight container.
Next I will be posting some of the Christmas cookies I've made, that will probably be mid week.  Also I'll post my chocolate candies.
Have a wonderful day and Remember to Find the Time to Do ALL the things YOU love.
Donna

1 comment:

The Country Rose said...

That is a treat from many, many, many years ago! I have always wanted to try orange peel candy- thanks for telling us how to do it. I may try this after Christmas :D

Barb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...