Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Popcorn balls




Every once in a while I get the urge for these.  I've never made them before, hard to believe I know..  :-)  Well today I gave them a try.  I had to buy a candy thermometer so now I can make all sorts of things.
They are not difficult but take a little time.  My family had these right after they were formed and still a bit warm and said they were GREAT... I agree

First make your popcorn like you always do, hopefully you make yours on the stove, don't think these would taste as good with microwave popcorn.
I used about 3 TBL oil and 1/3 of a cup plus 2 TBL of kernels (I prefer the white kernels)
when it was done I lightly salted it and put it in a large bowl and popped it into a warmed 200 degree oven.  (I had warmed the oven then shut it off)
to make the syrup
1cup white sugar
1/3 cup light or dark corn syrup *I used dark*
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1//2 tsp. salt
1 tsp vanilla

put all ingredients except the vanilla in a large 2 qt. saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, when it comes to a boil continue to cook, do not stir,  until it reaches 270 on candy thermometer or until a small amount dropped into cold water separates into threads.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla just until all mixed.  Pour over popcorn as even as possible and then stir, try not to break popcorn.  When cool enough to handle form into balls and put on waxed paper.  It helps if you spray your hands with cooking spray.  BE CAREFUL not to get burned.  (a voice of experience)  When cool enjoy.
thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful day and Remember to Find the time to Do ALL the things YOU love.
Donna

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...