Search This Blog

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Eggplant Rollatini (LC) or not



While I was in NY I had eggplant for the first time.  WOW have I been missing out.  At our high school reunion one of the things on the buffet was this dish.  I had never had it and when I said that sooooooooooooo many classmates were in shock.  There was many kids of Italian decent so this food was a staple for them, and they just could not believe it was something I had never eaten.  So being brave I told them I would try it.  It was out of this world good.  So when we went to NYC to see Motown on Broadway we went out to eat afterwards and I decided I needed to try it again to be sure it was not just a fluke that I liked it.  :)  Again out of this world delicious.  After that meal I decided when I got home I was going to try to make it.  One of my best friends (from HS) helped me with instructions, etc.  Thank you Carole.  So here you have it, and I must say it's a must try.   Now you can make it with regular Italian bread crumbs but I wanted it to be LC so I adapted the recipe and it was just as good....no lie.


Ingredients:
2 eggplant
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs *see below for LC version*
1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
oil for frying
FILLING:

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded  mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Reggiono  cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 cups of fresh spinach finely chopped 
Mozzarella and provolone for topping
SAUCE:
your favorite or you could use this
  3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup  chicken stock or white wine, eyeball it(she uses white wine)
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes plus 1 can crushed tomatoes (recommended: San Marzano)
Several leaves basil, torn or chopped, a handful
2 tablespoons  butter, cut into small pieces

Directions

Heat a medium sauce pot over medium-low heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil,  garlic, and red pepper and let them cook 5 minutes, garlic will be soft and light golden. Remove garlic. Add stock or wine and stir 30 seconds, add tomatoes and combine. Season the sauce with salt, to taste, then stir basil in and reduce heat to low.
For low carb bread crumbs, 
2 -3 flatout flat bread Italian season (lc) can be found at most stores
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1-2 TBL oregano
1 TBL parsley
1 -2 tsp garlic powder
salt/pepper
Leave the flatbread out so it gets hard.  Process in food processor til you get a find crumb, combine almond and coconut flour and seasonings.  Use this to coat the eggplant when frying.
To make rollatini:
Slice the eggplant on a mandolin, place in a colander with some salt  and let sit for about 30 minutes to draw out moisture.  Pat dry.  Heat oil in skillet and then dip slices in egg then bread crumbs.  Fry until golden on each side.  DON'T over cook.  Place on wax paper and then fill each with mixture and roll up.  Place in a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper  (easy clean up) and add sauce to the bottom.  When all rolled, put cheese on top and then top with more sauce.  You can then bake it or put in refrigerator until ready to cook.  You could also freeze at this point.
If baking then heat preheat oven 375° and bake for 30-35 minutes.  Serve with your favorite sides.  Enjoy.
The family really enjoy this so it will now become a dish that I will make often.
Have a great day and Remember to Find the Time to Do all the things YOU L♥ve.
D♥onna
 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...