Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

English Muffins


I love English Muffins and growing up in NY they are a staple, in my book anyway. When I first moved from NY in the early 70's it was a true culture shock. Not only could you not find Thomas English muffins, it was hard to find Hellman's mayonnaise, good pizza (that's a given ...so sad) a burger without mustard and onion, of course bagels...an unheard of food there, good Chinese food and lastly food that didn't burn your throat. Their food staple is chilli, they put it on everything and I mean everything and their bread is the tortilla (now those I have come to love). I moved to New Mexico and not only was the food very different but also the pace in which people moved. For many years I always felt like everyone was moving in slow motion. No-one was ever in a hurry and you always had to stop along your way to chat. Didn't get much done as you can guess. Whenever anyone from NY came to visit it was a requirement that they bring me some Thomas's and oh yes I forgot the Cheese and Parsley Italian Sausage. If you have never had any of that OMG what you are missing. The sausage made with peppers and onions and served on a hero...to die for. Yum, Yum Yum. Ok back to the English Muffins...since I have the time to experiment they were on my list. Here is my result...I was very impressed with this recipe. Oh gee I just ate one toasted and forgot to take the picture, guess I'll have to have another...LOL

This recipe is from all-recipes found here and the woman that has it posted says she has made them for 29 years.
I have a printable recipe link if you like. Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees c)
1/4 cp melted shortening
6 cps all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt


Directions:
1. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.
3. Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.
4. Heat greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. To use, split and toast. Great with lots of butter and jellies, cream cheese and jam.

Here's the dough after the rise..
rolled out then cut to fry. I used a large can to cut these.

On the griddle

Done, and don't they look awesome?





The recipe says it makes 18 but I only got 14, think some are a bit larger than your normal English Muffin. I will be making these again so we'll see if I get 18 next go round.








Here is one buttered....another YUM. I would show you what it would look like with Jam or Jelly but I'm not crazy about that on my English Muffin.







Here's a sandwich with butter, mayo, ham, cheese and lettuce. Makes you want to bite the screen huh? LOL

Thanks for stopping by today. Have a wonderful day and Remember to Find the Time to Do ALL the things you Love.
Donna




2 comments:

The Country Rose said...

Geesh, I am so going to have to plan a trip to your house soon :D

Barb

Merut said...

I never thought about making my own english muffins. Thanks for the idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...