Search This Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Pineapple Coconut Galette

This was an experiment.  When I was in Maine I made several desserts and found out that Orm (who I stayed with) loves pineapple so of course I had to make him some yummies with pineapple.  I had first made apple galette from apples I had picked from one of his trees.  Those were yummy also.  I didn't want to make the same recipe just changing the fruit to I decided to add some coconut and  finely chopped nuts.  I cooked the pineapple with about 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4- cup white wine.
I let it cook until it was reduced and the sauce seemed to be a bit thickened.

I used the puff pastry for this as I did with the other Galettes

Frangipane (Almond Cream):
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (42 grams) almond meal (flour)
1 tablespoon (12 grams) all purpose flour
Crust:
1 pound (454 grams) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
Filling:
1 large can pineapple chunks (could use fresh)
2 tablespoons  granulated white sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
Garnish:
Confectioners' (powdered or icing) sugar
Softly whipped cream (optional)
Frangipane:  In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the sugar.
and butter until creamy.  Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until smooth.  Add the almond meal
and flour and beat until it forms a smooth paste. Transfer to a small bowl, cover and refrigerate. 
Puff Pastry: Once the puff pastry has been defrosted, as per manufacturer's instructions: Unfold one sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface and cut the sheet into thirds with a sharp knife. Then cut each third in half. Repeat with the second layer of puff pastry. Place the  pastries (you will have 12 altogether) on a parchment lined baking sheet. Then, with an offset spatula or large knife, spread a thin layer of frangipane (about 1 heaping TBL on each pastry, leaving about a 1/4 inch (1 cm) border. Cover and refrigerate the pastries for about 15 minutes. 


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven   Remove the puff pastry from the refrigerator and lay the pineapple, coconut and nuts on top of the frangipane. 
Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until the pineapples are tender and the puff pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. 
Preheat the oven broiler and move the rack to the top shelf of the oven. Lightly dust the tops of the pineapple with confectioners sugar (powdered or icing) and place under the broiler until the tips of the pineapple start to caramelize.  Watch closely and move the pan as needed.  Serve warm or cold with softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Makes 12 galettes.
 If you like the Galette's you can really make them with any fruit.  So now I've done 3 versions, peach, apple and pineapple.  Gee what could be next....I'm sure I'll find something.
Have a wonderful day, and Remember to Find the Time to Do All the Things you love.
Donna

2 comments:

The Country Rose said...

I am so glad that I don't live near you Donna!!! I would have to exercise 24/7, lol! This looks soooo good!!!

Barb

Atty said...

Thanks Barb, they really are good and a quick tasty dessert. Give them a try. Any fruit will do. When I make things like this I make sure I give all but two away. LOL
Donna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...