Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blueberry Orange Muffins



 Well it's another winter day in Kansas.  Ugh  I'm so ready for Spring.  It's Monday the 31st of January and we were suppose to take my grandson AJ's class on an ice skating field trip.  Good ole Kansas weather put a halt to that.  We have a three day storm coming in starting with rain, ice and sleet...woo hoo.  Sure am glad I am retired and don't have to go out in what's coming.  Late tonight the snow will start and they predict about 4-6 inches and it will snow for about 2 days and the end result they say will be about 12 inches with snow drifts of about 5 feet.  Here's some pictures of our storm.  I have the fires burning so I'm nice and cozy warm.
When I was a child growing up on Long Island, New York we had severe snow storms every year.  I remember one year we had to dig a tunnel from the house to the mail box.  I didn't like snow then and still don't today.  Oh got off track, what I was going to tell you was when we were snowed in my Mom always baked.  She made cinnamon rolls, cookies and muffins.   We would play cards and board games all day.  All the neighborhood kids would be out sledding. The road in front of our house had a hill so it was the perfect place to sled, as long as the cars stayed away.  On occasion I would go out for maybe 30 minutes, not my thing, would much rather be nice and warm.
printable
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (can use frozen blueberries)
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest from one medium orange
3/4  cup Plain Greek yogurt

crumb topping:
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground
cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, diced
Directions:
Preheat oven 375 degrees, prepare muffin pans with liners or spray with non stick cooking spray.
In  a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.  In another bowl cream the sugar and butter.  Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.  Alternate the yogurt and flour into the creamed mixture, folding in.  Start with flour that way you'll end up with the yogurt last.  Fold in blueberries try not to over mix.  Fill muffin pans 3/4 full.  Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top bake for about 20-25 minutes until tester comes out clean.
Here is the mini loaf.  This recipe made 12 muffins with some batter left over so I made 1 mini loaf.  The loaf took another 12 minutes to cook.
Thanks for stopping by.  Have a wonderful warm day.  I will be staying in another day or two.  Trying to decide what I want to make.  I have a craving for something different but don't know what that different is.  ;-)  Remember to Find the Time to do ALL the things You love.
Donna

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...