Search This Blog

Friday, May 25, 2012

Flaky Biscuits



On another quest for a good flaky biscuit of course I searched the web.  Ever wonder how we all survived without this dang world of Technology???
In the search bar I put "good flaky biscuit"......of course I got tons of hits but this one site caught my eye so I adapted my recipe from her site.  The one small thing I changed was I used some Cake Flour and different type of milk mixture.  I had been reading that is you have flour with too much gluten you can get tough biscuits and for sure I wanted some nice fluffy ones to go with the Swiss Steak I had made.  That recipe will be next.
Printable
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 TBL baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (frozen)
1/2 - 1 cup cold milk (I used 1/4 cup half and half and 1/2 cup water)

Direction:
Combine all dry ingredients, mix.  Now here's her special trick which she said she saw on Foodnetwork.  Wow what an ingenious idea.  Quickly grate the butter on a cheese grater and then cut into the dough.  I use my clean hands to do all the work.  You can use two knives or a pastry cutter.  Add 1/2 cup of the milk and mix dough, slowly add more milk and  mix but try not to over mix the dough.  Add just enough milk to get the dough to come together, it will be soft.  On a floured surface roll out the dough in a rectangle.  Then fold it over it self (kind of like folding towels)
Do this about 3 or 4 times *again don't overwork* .  On the last roll leave the dough about 1 inch thick.  I rolled my last one into a circle.  Cut with biscuit cutter.  The size you use will determine how many biscuits you get.  She said 8-10 I got 14.  Place dough on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for about 8-10 minutes until golden brown.  Enjoy.

This is truly a great recipe and will be my recipe I always use when I want biscuits.  Can't wait to make them again.
Thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful day and Remember to Find the Time to do all the things YOU love.
Donna

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...