This weeks Monday treat for work. I was going to make Pecan toffee bars but didn't 'have all the ingredients in the house and didn't want to go to the store today. I am also make risotto today so I can make arancini balls for dinner this Thursday. My sister in law and I went to a new (to us) restaurant downtown called Limestone Pizza and we had them as an appetizer, they were wonderful so of course I have to try and make them. Of course I will share them with you.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
adapted from here
2 cups fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Cream Cheese Filling
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
Butter Cake & Crumb Topping
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, very cold and cut into chunks
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8” inch round pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add all of the “strawberry filling” ingredients to a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly until the filling is thickened and strawberries are soft and somewhat broken down. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the cream cheese on medium speed for about 30 seconds until smooth. Add in ¼ cup sugar and 1 egg and beat until well combined. Set aside.
- To make the cake, combine the flour and sugar together in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter, 2 forks or your food processor, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Measure 3/4 cup of the mixture and set aside. Add the baking soda, baking powder and salt to the remaining mixture and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sour cream, egg and vanilla extract until well blended. Using a hand whisk or a spoon, gently stir in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Batter may be a bit lumpy. Set aside.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan, pressing about 1/2 inch of batter up the sides. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the batter and spread to within ½ inch edge of the batter (so there is a ½ inch border of uncovered batter all around). Spread the strawberry filling on top of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup crumbs over the strawberry filling. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the cake.