Search This Blog

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Potato Rolls with onion




This is a wonderful roll with lots of flavor but not much work.  There is only 1 rise so it makes up in a short time.  You can have fresh baked bread or rolls in about an hour, how great does that sound.  Since I have retired I don't buy bread anymore everything in the house is home made.  It's pretty scarey to buy bread in the store and a month later its still ok with no mold.  Yikes!!! My homemade bread and baked good if not refrigerated will get mold within 2 - 3 days.  Gives you something to think about and what do they put in the foods that give them that long a shelf life.  With making your own you know exactly what's in it and it tastes so much better.  Ok I'll get off my soap box for now.  Here's the recipe.  I will for sure be making these again, because they make a wonderful sandwich.
Printable:
Ingredients:
1/2 large  onion diced
1 TBL butter
1 3/4 cup warm water
2 TBL sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup potato flour
3- 4 cups AP flour
2 pkg yeast
2 TBL vegetable oil
1 egg white mixed with a little water

Directions:
Saute the onions until they are translucent and set a side to cool.  In large mixer bowl mix 1 cup potato flour, 1 cup AP flour, salt, sugar and yeast.  With paddle attachment on add the water and oil and beat for 3 minutes.  Put dough hook on then add 1/2 cup flour at a time and continue to knead the dough for 3 1/2 minutes, then add the onions and knead for another 3 minutes until you get a nice soft dough (it should not be sticky).  Set on floured counter to rest for 10 minutes covered.  Divide dough into 12-14 round shaped balls and place on a lined parchment paper baking sheet   (these do rise quite a bit so don't make your balls too big and don't place too close together)  These will make wonderful small dinner rolls.
Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 375 °F    Brush tops of rolls with egg white and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.  Cool a bit on wire rack then enjoy.  These also make wonderful sandwiches.

Thanks for taking time from your busy day.  Have a wonderful day and Remember to Find the Time to Do ALL the things You ♥ Love.
Donna

2 comments:

kate said...

Hey! I like your style. After stumbling across the photo, and clicking on, then reading your lasagna recipe, I just read about the Italian Bread below. Our recipes are quite similar. I love everything from scratch. I cooked more several years ago and then got away from bread baking and noodle making. Why? I don't know, but reading your blog makes me want to go bake some Italian bread. Excuse me while I do just that!
(And right on on the Paula Dean thing.... bless her heart)

Atty said...

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love cooking and baking. It's fun trying new recipes too.
Hope you visit often.
Donna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...