Search This Blog

Friday, August 16, 2013

Bread and Butter Pickles

It's been about 38 years since I've made these.  Wow, where have all those years gone?  This year we have had a bumper crop of cucumbers which I might add I'm so happy about because I love cucumbers.  Love to eat them as a snack with just salt.  So I decided that I should try my hand at canning once again.  When my children where small I canned a lot,  always made bread and also sewed most of everyone clothes.  Don't think I'll try that anymore but love doing things in the kitchen.  I made these Bread and Butter Pickles Low Carb, because that is the way I'm eating now.  I did find some low carb pickles at WM but with so many cuc's this is a good way to be sure they don't go to waste.   I would can some tomatoes but they don't last long enough to get any good amount for that.  :)
Recently my daughter and I bought a dehydrator so will be drying many of the herbs that are in the garden.   With today's grocery prices you have to do what you have to do and this way I also know everything is really fresh.  That's why I started making bread.  When store bough bread can sit on the counter for 3-4 weeks and not get moldy there are way to many preservatives in it.
I found this recipe here  and just adapted it and used Trivia instead of sugar.
This made 5 pint jars
3 large english cucumbers
1  1/4 tsp mustard seed
1 1/4 tsp celery seed
3/4 tsp tumeric
2 cups boiling water
3/4 cup trivia
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 very large onion
1/4 cup pickling salt

Wash cuc's and slice on mandolin about 1/4 inch.  Also slice onion the cut slices in half or quarters.    In a large bowl put cuc's and onions and cover with salt, mix and let sit for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes drain and rinse WELL to remove salt.  Drain

In a sauce pan combine all other ingredients. Bring to boil and cook for about 5 minutes.  Prepare pot with water and get jars ready.  Fill jars with cuc's and onion and put in brine to 1/4 from top of jar. Process in a water bath for 10 minutes.
Will report back in 3 months to let you know how these taste.
Thanks for stopping by,  have a wonderful day and Remember to Find the Time to DO ALL the Things you love.
Donna

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...