Search This Blog

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Homemade Ravioli

 I got a pasta machine for my birthday, which I really wanted, so of course had to made stuff.  I made some homemade Ravioli, bow ties, fettuccine and soon will make some lasagna.  This was lots of fun and a learned a very import lesson.  If you are not going to cook them right after you make them, freeze them on a cookie sheet until set and then put them in a bag.  If you try to put them in the refridge the get stuck together.  The site I went to said you could do that. .....WRONG.  Lucky for me I took a couple of pictures before I set them in the fridge.  We had a ravioli bake that night..LOL it was yummy so nothing lost.  You could do this recipe even if you don't have a pasta machine but it would be lots of work.  The machine makes it Easy Peasy.  As you can see AJ rolled and cut the fettuccine and did a wonderful job I must say.  In this picture he is finishing up cutting the bow ties so I can shape them.  That's the pasta machine.

Dough Recipe
3 1/2 cups flour
3 eggs
1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
pinch of salt
water
I made my dough in the Kitchen Aide, but if you do by hand, put the flour of your work surface and make a well, put the eggs in the well and then break them up while also pulling in flour as you go, add oil and salt when you first get started.  As the dough gets stiffer add a very tiny bit of water at a time.  It's really hard to say how much water to use because so much depends on the weather.  It's its a humid day you will need less, just go slow.  Knead for about 10 minutes until soft and no longer sticky.  Flour well and then wrap in clear wrap and leave to rest for 30 minutes.  I made several batches so I put some in the fridge until I was ready for it.  Be sure to take it out and let rest for 15 minutes or so til it comes back to room temperature.  If it's too cold it's very hard to work with.  Be sure you dough is not sticky, especially if you are using the Pasta machine.
Cheese filling:
  15 oz. of ricotta cheese
 1/4 cup of fresh chopped parsley
1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup of grated asiago cheese
 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
 1 egg 1/2 tbls. Fresh ground black pepper
 salt to taste

Mix together ricotta, mozzarella, asiago and Parmesan cheeses.  Add parsley and eggs and stir with fork until everything is well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.


The ravioli maker.
Put rolled dough on top of the left side (one with holes) then put the other piece on and gently push to give the indentations. then fill.

Put some water or egg wash around each one so you can get a good seal.  Turn over and cut.

I used my pie crust fluter , if that's a word.  Worked great.  And the end result.  What do you think??



I just love my new kitchen toy and will probably have pasta once a week now.  ;-)  I'm going to try and make wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers.  So be on the look out for yet another test.
Thanks for stopping by.  Have a wonderful day and Remember to Find the time to do all the Things YOU love.
Donna

1 comment:

The Country Rose said...

Mmmmmmm! I can't wait till you make these for us :-D !!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...