Search This Blog

Monday, July 3, 2017

Crusty Italian Bread




Way back when I made those stuffed shells I had extra, which I froze.  Well we had them on a Sunday on my day to cook.  Made this bread to go with it.  It's so yummy...nothing better than fresh homemade bread right out of the oven with some butter.  You could eat the whole loaf...I know you could, cause I sure can.    I mixed the dough in my KA food processor.  Worked out great. 




Crusty Italian Bread
makes 2 loaves
1 1/3 cups warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
4 cups flour
Place warm water, yeast and brown sugar in mixing bowl. Stir and let stand for a few minutes until it start to bubble and foam a bit. 
Add olive oil and salt.  Mix and add the flour gradually.  You want to add enough that the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.  You want to mix it with the dough hook for a few minutes.    
Cover and let the dough rise until doubled about 30 minutes.
Punch down dough and divide in two and form into two loaves (I doubled the recipe this time.)   Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Beat together:
1 egg
1 Tablespoon water
Brush the risen loaves with the egg mixture.
Make a single long quick cut down the center of the loaves with a sharp knife.
 Place at least 1 cup hot water in a shallow pan and place it on the rack underneath the bread.  The steam will make the crust turn perfectly.  You may need to add a bit more water during cooking. You do not want it to evaporate.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the loaves turn golden brown and sound hollow when you tap them.
If you can place them on a rack to cool a bit, this is very difficult I know all to well.  Then slather with butter and enjoy.

Thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful week and Remember to Find the Time to DO ALL the things You L♥ve.
Donna

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...