Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2012

Orange Yeast Bread

 

 

One of my friends is able to get fresh eggs often and so he calls or texts me to see if I would like some. We have decided to do a barter system, he brings me eggs and I make him food. Good trade I'd say. So this week he wanted a yeast bread with the flavor of orange. Now I've made orange bread (like banana bread ) but never a yeast bread. So searching I went and I found a decent recipe. So of course I had to change some things. This is what I came up with. Sure hope you try this one because it sure is good toasted with some butter and orange marmalade. Oh I also made him some Italian loaves, because he brought me 4 doz. Eggs.

Orange Yeast Bread

This recipe results in a wonderful loaf full of the flavor and scent of oranges, which comes from the whole orange. I adapted this from this recipe from King’s Daughters Society of Duluth, Minnesota
In: King’s Daughters Cook Book, 1916—USA

Ingredients:
4 cups AP flour
1-1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup of warm water
2 large oranges (whole) pureed in blender
1 tsp salt
2 TBL sugar
1 large egg yolk
2 tbsp butter, softened
1 large egg white (to glaze)
Mix the yeast in the warm water and set aside for about 10 minutes.
In a blender put some water and the cut up oranges (peel and all)mixer bowl pour 1 cup of orange puree, egg yolk, sugar and flour, mixing on low speed for about 1-2 minutes. Add the yeast and mix for a few more minutes, then add the salt. Mix a little longer, at low speed, and then add the butter. Mix until the butter is well incorporated and the dough is smooth and well developed. You might need extra orange puree, depending on how your flour absorbs liquids. I needed 1/4 cup extra juice.

Let the dough rest in a lightly greased covered bowl, until double in bulk. Then shape and baked in two bread pans (9 x 5-inch pans). You could also make this into a braid or the shape of Italian loaves.

Cover the loaves with a kitchen towel and let rise until double. Brush gently with the egg white lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water.
Bake in a preheated oven (350°F) for about 45 minutes or 1 hour, depending on the size, until the crust is a deep golden brown. Cool the bread(s) on a rack.
Let complete cool, if you can. Slice and enjoy.
Thanks for taking time to stop by, have a wonderful weekend and Remember to Find the Time to Do ALL the things you love.
Donna

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...