Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

Bing Cherry Shortcake - YUM

Ok this was one of those ideas that came from having a bowl of bing cherry's on the countertop and thinking oh gee I better eat all of them soon or they will go bad.   Soooooooooooooooo what better to do with them than turn them into a YUMMY Dessert.  I first rewashed them all then  painstakingly took the time to pit them.  I did that like you would do a peach, by cutting around the pit and twisting, didn't take much time at all. but is a bit messy.   I think I had about 3/4 of lb.  I then put them into a pan and cooked them til the juice was reduced to a nice syrup.

Cherry filing:
3/4 lbs. bing cherries (or whatever you want to put in them)
1/4 sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon *you can add more if you want*
1 tsp. nutmeg  *you can add more if you want*
2 TBL butter (unsalted)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup red wine ( I used Redwood Creek California Cabernet Sauvignon -  2008) *more or less  if you want but don't go over board* LOL

Shortcake:
***Shortcake***
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
1 egg
3/4 cup sour cream
For shortcake, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat egg; add sour cream. Stir into the crumb mixture just until moistened.

Turn onto a floured board; knead 25 times or until smooth. Roll out into a 7 1/2 inch circle. Cut a 2-inch hole in center to form a ring. For mine I used this pan.  I used a large glass and cut circles and pushed them into the pan so they would take that shape.

Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 12-14 minutes or until golden. Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack.

This recipe was found here  I wanted to make a cake tort like you buy at the grocery store but was not sure about the ingredents, so this will be something I will tackle soon and will post the recipe for that at another time.  I bought one of those shortcake pans at Michael's this past week (they had a 50% off coupon).  *see above*

From the oven

And now served with the whipped cream.  Oh these are soooooo good you must try them.

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a wonderful day, and Do Find the Time to Do the Things you Love.

Donna

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...