Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Tortilla



 Like Fajita's, quesadilla, burrito, or Mexican food well you must try this recipe for tortillas?  Quick and easy. 
Back in the 70's I moved from New York to New Mexico and had my first taste of Southwestern and Mexican Food.  I'll admit I was not crazy about it, and I still don't like things if they are hot...if it burns to the point that you can no longer taste anything else, how on earth could that be good.  But there are many out there that love the heat in Mexican Food, my son's, son in law and grandsons.  I just can't handle the heat but love the flavors you can accomplish and yes you can make some delish recipes without all that heat.  I make a chicken enchilada casserole with a green sauce that my family loves.  And yet another dish to post in the future.  Ok back to the tortillas and my story.  In the 80's I had a job at a small cafe in Albuquerque and Bennie (the owner) made tortillas every morning, I still remember how good they tasted.  I always ate mine with my breakfast with just butter....oh my gosh soooooooooooooooooooo good.  I have never tried to make these until just recently and now that I am retired I can try all sorts of recipes for foods that I LOVE!  For father's day this year I decided to do a Mexican menu,  So this is the start of the menu I made.  I will post each recipe in the days to follow.  We had mini chimmies (made with spring roll wrappers) home made salsa, a pork dish and my daughter made her Spanish rice.  We had ice cream cake and cookies I call JR's cookies, another recipe that I will share.

Printable recipe
Tortilla
4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons cold shortening (or bacon grease)
1½ cups hot water
Put first 4 ingredients in the food processor and pulse until well mixed. Add hot water while machine is running. Turn machine off when dough comes together. Remove dough and knead about half a dozen times or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, turn dough out onto lightly floured counter and roll into balls about the size of a small golf ball. Roll out tortillas (starting in center and rolling outwards, turning often).

To cook the tortillas, the recipe says to use a cast iron skillet, or your favorite fry pan, or you could use an electric skillet.   I fried them in a dry skillet, but you can use a tiny bit of oil to get the big flaky bubbles,  Keep the tortillas warm in a kitchen towel while you cook the others.



I found the recipe for the Tortillas one day when I was blog hopping.  Here is where I found it, take the time to look around she has some good recipes.
Another easy recipe to try, hope you will.

Have a wonderful day and remember to Find the Time to Do All the Things you Love.
Donna

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...