Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hamburger/Sandwich Buns

These are great for sandwiches and well as hamburgers.  The recipe I use is the same one I use for my white bread.  This recipe is one of the family's favorite.  They can finish a loaf in record time.  I made the regular recipe which will make 2 loaves, I used 1/2 of the dough for the buns, they made 9, 8 regular size and 1 a bit smaller than others which made a nice little lunch sandwich (which I ate..LOL)  You can make these plain if you wish or you can put sesame seeds on top.  Also if you want a different flavor you could add some onion, garlic, jalapeno, cheese or whatever your heart desires, I guess.  After writing that I will now have to try a different version.  I'll get a family poll and see what they would like.

Printable Recipe
Ingredients
  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour
  • water for brushing top (buns only)
  • seeds of your choice *optional*

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time.  Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. I do all the kneading in my KA mixer Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Or in this case shape into buns.   Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes  

This is the ball on the left, just take a chunk and roll it on the counter under your palm, then flatten it so you can put in in the pan.  I just purchased this a Prydes in KC, it says it's a Muffin Top/ Hamburger Bun Pan.  I guess I will have to try and make Muffin Tops soon.  Prydes has so many neat items....some I don't  have a clue what you use them for, but it sure if fun learning all the gadgets you can use when baking.  Oh sorry got off track, ok back to the buns.  Here they are plain and ready to rise again and then after rising  with the seeds and ready for the oven.
And the final result, we had them Saturday night, my daughter had made bbq burgers and we had  all the fixins,  potato salad, (which will be another post very soon) and fresh green beans.
 The ones below right out of the oven (6) are from the bun  pan  except for the one way in the far back on the right that is one that was just shaped, flattened and put on a small cookie sheet with parchment paper.                                                               
These three are one that were all shaped then flatten slightly and put on a small cookie sheet with parchment paper.
I will have a sandwich tomorrow.  ;-)

Have a wonderful day, and Remember to Do ALL the Things you Love.
Donna

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...