Search This Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Vietnamese Spring Rolls

This is one of those recipes that you store in your head, so hopefully you'll be able to make them and they taste as good as they should.  This is the package I used this time.  I buy my wrappers at the local Asian Store.  They also carry the round wrappers which are very good also. 
I learned this recipe from a friend in Spanaway, Washington about 30 years ago.  She was Vietnamese and a wonderful cook.

You can make these with ground pork, ground chicken, ground turkey or ground lean beef.....and I would guess you could go all vegan and just use veggies.  You will also need the Asian Sesame oil....their oil has a very distinct smell and if you don't get the right one you won't get the same wonderful flavor and taste.  (Also this is one of those items from my head and I put in enough to get a certain smell but I think I have decided how much you will need.

Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
1 Pkg. wrappers
1- 1/2 lbs meat of your choice (uncooked)
1 cp shredded carrots (about 3 carrots)
3/4 cp finely chopped celery
3/4 cp chopped sweet onion
1 section of bean threads cut into small pcs. I use my kitchen sheers to cut them in small pcs. (you need to soak these in warm to hot water for about 10 minutes untill they are soft then you drain them before you cut them)
1 cp. bean sprouts *optional*
                                                                                    2 TBL sesame oil
                                                                                    1 - 1/2 TBL soy sauce
                                                                                     Oil for frying
Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl.  Heat oil and fry 6 or 7 at a time on medium heat, don't have heat to high to they will brown to quickly and not cook the inside.  Turn until all sides are browned.  Drain on paper towel.    Now the best part...ENJOY!   I always take a bite and then put a little of soy sauce in the inside.  Personal Preference..  Some like the hot Asian mustard with them. 


If you have a hard time find the bean threads email me and I'll post a picture of the wrapper.  These are also called cellophane noodles and the come in a package with about 6 sections, and the threads are very brittle.
Well tomorrow or Saturday I'll be posting a new Mexican Dish I tried and that the family loved.  There was not a crumb leftover.
so till then
hugs, and remember Always Find the time to Do the Things YOU Love.
Donna


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...